Ranch dressing is a keto diet natural, luckily for all of we keto dieters out there. Ranch dressing was popularized in the 1980s and 1990s by the popular brand “Hidden Valley Ranch.” True story: When Hidden Valley Ranch hit the market, my mom’s friends thought they had stolen the recipe from her because they had only ever tasted ranch dressing like that in our house. Obviously, I grew up on ranch dressing, the homemade variety. Of course, creamy salad dressings were not invented by us. We were just ahead of the game in the homemade dressing department.
This is my mom’s standard ranch dressing recipe, slightly tweaked for my weight loss goals. Mayonnaise in particular has been increasingly and strangely transformed by food manufacturers as a slightly sweet condiment containing sugar. Old school mayonnaise is oil and eggs and has zero carbohydrates — a natural keto food. Find one of those mayonnaise brands (which is easily done if you check the labels) or make your own. Yogurt brands also vary in carbohydrates. A full fat version will probably offer you the fewest. Be sure to check out the label and become familiar with your options.
Whip It Up in 60 Seconds!!!
Ranch Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise. (Check the carbs on the label and look for a lower-carb brand. Some mayonnaise brands add sugar.)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt. (Check the carbs on the label and look for a lower-carb brand.)
- Two tablespoons of chopped parsley or two teaspoons dried.
- Two tablespoons of chopped chives or two teaspoons dried.
- One tablespoon of dill weed or one teaspoon dried.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Homemade Ranch Steps
- Mix together mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Add herbs and collagen.
- Stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
On a Ridiculously Big Taco Salad!
Use that ranch dressing along with this:
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 6 ounces (180 g) ground beef, cooked
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) grated cheddar cheese 1⁄2 white onion, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Why Ranch? Because We LOVE It!
Really??? Two Hearts of Romaine???
Make it your own!
The Ridiculously Big Salad in the News!
The Ridiculously Big Salad Nearly Broke the Post Office!
If you’ve missed our story about this giant salad nearly breaking the US postal service and ending up in the USPS postal employee magazine, then you really should see it. 🙂